The Bury Arts and Crafts Centre in Broad Street was built in 1894, originally as a Technical School with an Art department on the upper floor.
For over fifty years the ornate building provided education for many thousands of the town’s Art and Technical Students. In the late 1940's the technical students moved to a new college and by 1960 the Broad Street building had become a thriving Arts and Crafts Centre under its Principal, Alan Childs. It was upheld as a thriving example of non-vocational Adult education, yet was constantly under threat of closure due to erratic changes in local and national education policy.
A long era of struggle and success finally came to an end on 17th of December 2004, when the Centre was obliged to leave the old Broad Street building, which had meant so much to so many for so long, and move to pastures new.
This video records the events of that memorable day.